New Stormwater Committee
ASTM International’s Board of Directors has approved the formation of a new technical committee on stormwater control measures (E64). The approval comes after an organizational meeting for the new committee happened in early October.
The organizational meeting brought an array of stormwater industry experts together to identify specific standards needs and to determine the need for an ASTM International committee. Following this determination, the attendees developed and approved the committee title, scope, and structure.
The stormwater control measures committee will enable innovation in the stormwater sector and improve performance of stormwater programs and systems through the development of verification reports using consensus, science-based testing standards.
The scope of the new committee has been determined as “the promotion of knowledge of the family of technologies known internationally as stormwater control measures (SCMs), including stimulation of research and the development of test methods, specifications, practices, guides, and nomenclature. SCMs provide for stormwater quality treatment, volume control, flow management, and runoff detention, retention, and capture and use.”
Organizers of the new committee note that it will provide the following benefits:
- Providing tools for well-informed implementation decisions,
- Solidifying ASTM’s leadership role in addressing stormwater-related issues,
- Unifying stakeholders, including those associated with manufacturers, users, trade associations, professional societies, government agencies, consumer groups, academia, engineering, and testing,
- Developing a diverse portfolio of needed standards, and
- Assisting comparisons of competing technologies.